The extra work I did last week to try to get better meshes of the hands was not very useful, so I’m just going back to my basic meshes.
So I ended up with a Dynamesh last week which is an acceptable starting point for projection. It was made from cut down versions of Ratty-Back1 and RattyFront scan meshes… I duplicated them before I deleted areas which wouldn’t be helpful for the geometry.
Then I merged them, dynameshed the result and this is the basic low res geometry:
It was lovely to see Cosgrove Hall Archive’s blog featuring Toad, yesterday, and this spurred me on to process Ratty’s photos. I’d taken over 200 in each position which made the process of choosing 100 to upload to ReCap Photo quite long-winded!
24 hours later, the first set of photos I uploaded is still queuing, while the second is at 40%, indicating that a mesh should be processed later today.
Ratty looks great except he has a weird lump on his back – I’ve sent a different 100 photos off in the hope of getting a better version of his back!
Plan: to print on a Markforged printer using Onyx material, either a Cosmos 1 panel, or potentially Cosmos 2, the destroyed concrete version of the same repeated design elements.
The ’tile’ designs were all 12″ x 12″.
The plan is to construct designs out of best examples of these tiles from the photogrammetry models I made of Cosmos 1 panels last year. I isolated these tiles as OBJs last year, and here they are in Fusion:
I’ve realised that a print of the A1 presentation poster might work alongside the scale model of ‘A Flutter of Birds’… I could maybe print one out next week on the wide format printers in the Art School.
I could ask about 3D printing Man and Technic and Cosmos 1… I think Cosmos 1 could work as wall mounted panels, printed in Onyx (nylon) using a Markforged printer.
And Man and Technic could possibly be printed in resin using the Form 3L. Print volume is 33.5 × 20 × 30 cm
Those yellow areas are ‘cups’ which means liquid resin will get trapped during the printing process. I introduced 2 small holes for drainage… I’m not sure how I printed this last time without those!
When I submitted my poster a couple of weeks ago, I was focussing on how it looked rather than on how it would work as a presentation tool.
Now that I’ve been allocated my presentation slot, 9.00am on Tuesday 07/09/2021, my mind is suddenly focussed on what I’m actually going to say for 15 minutes and how the poster might help or hinder me.
Who is my audience?
I need to assume that the audience has no prior knowledge of my project.
It’s just over a week since I submitted my dissertation.
What have I learned?
This project was similar to tasks I was given in the games industry: create a complex and convincing 3D scene within certain constraints, with no set plan re. how to do it.
So you begin with a start-point and a vision of an end-goal but you have to establish what should happen inbetween through trial and error. Tony Scimone, who advised me re. statistics, called it ‘establishing a pipeline’.
The autonomy is amazing; the unknowns are challenging; finding solutions is satisfying, but many turn out to be less useful than they first appear. But even when things don’t work, you always learn something.
Though I’d done something similar in a commercial setting, there were unfamiliar requirements, such as the ethics process, the literature review, use of a scientific writing style (paraphrasing, not quoting) and production of a fully referenced report. Documenting the practical activity in this way has been a challenge.
On the plus side, it’s been amazing to be surrounded by so many knowledgeable people who’ve advised me along the way, and I’m indebted to Alison Draper, Object Conservator, for proposing the project in the first place. I really hope the work is useful to Special Collections in the future!
I want to include 3D elements in my poster document. This should be possible using PDF’s 3D capability but it is proving very difficult. Adobe tell me they will only create 3D PDFs using U3D ECMA files without a third party plugin:
And this is after paying for Acrobat Pro which is £25 a month PAYG. They say £15 but it’s misleading as that is for an annual plan.
I’ve started a free trial of Adobe Acrobat Pro and I’m shocked by how archaic and basic the interface is. Most people create PDFs using another app and export as PDF. Acrobat Pro is skewed towards issues of signing and countersigning documents rather than visual finesse.
I’ve never heard of U3D ECMA files and they don’t seem widely used. They’re the result of a collab between Bentley Systems, Intel, HP and Adobe in the early 2000s and the format is no longer maintained – this seems unhelpful.
Tetra 4D third party plugin will convert numerous 3D formats for use with PDF. They offer a free trial but would also cost money going forward to maintain.